Job Announcement: Parent Organizer & Educator
Padres & Jóvenes Unidos
3025 W 37th Ave., Suite 206 / Denver, CO 80211
303-458-6545 Phone / 303-458-5635 Fax
TITLE: Parent Organizer & Educator
BACKGROUND: With roots in the struggle for educational justice, Padres has evolved into a multi-issue organization that is led by people of color who work for educational excellence, racial justice for youth, immigrant rights and quality healthcare for all. Padres & Jóvenes build power to challenge the root cause of discrimination, racism and inequity by exposing the economic, social and institutional basis for injustice as well as developing effective strategies to realize meaningful change. www.padresunidos.org.
POSITION: Padres & Jóvenes Unidos is looking for a dedicated, creative and motivated bilingual Parent Organizer. The Parent Organizer is part of the College Prep for All team and is accountable to a Co-Executive Director. The Organizer is responsible for training and educating parents on our Platform for Excellent Education with an emphasis on extended learning time, college prep for all and excellent leadership from teachers and principals (SB 191).
The Parent Organizer should share Padres & Jóvenes Unidos' overall commitment to addressing issues of racial and economic justice, working with traditionally disenfranchised populations, changing structural conditions to improve the quality of life, building community power, and institutional change.
This position is currently funded for one year.
- Through management of parents and community members, develop and train a core of leaders to conduct one-on-one visits, door knocking, run community meetings, prioritize issues and conduct effective participatory research.
- Develop and implement strategic organizing campaigns rooted in the needs and demands of our membership.
- Plan, coordinate and implement public meetings to develop relationships with public officials and institutions and hold them accountable to community concerns.
- Provide regular reports to Co-Directors on key issues regarding organizing and environment.
- Work one on one and in groups with parent members to recruit and build Padres Unidos.
- Promote the campaigns and work of Padres & Jovenes Unidos.
- Bachelor's degree, accompanied by commensurate work experience.
- Bilingual/Bi-literate in Spanish/English.
- Minimum 4-6 years organizing experience, political education a plus.
- Current valid driver license (vehicle insurance required).
- Passion for the work.
- Must be available to travel and be able to work weekends and evening meetings when required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly energetic and outgoing person.
- Strong commitment and experience in organizing in communities of color.
- Experience collaborating with others in achieving common goals.
- Master's degree and training experience a plus.
- Experience in school settings a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
SALARY RANGE: Depends on experience, including a generous benefits package.
TO APPLY SEND RÉSUMÉ AND COVER LETTER SUMMARIZING YOUR INTEREST IN
THIS POSITION, HOW YOUR TALENTS MATCH THOSE SOUGHT, AND A WRITING SAMPLE
OF YOUR COMMITMENT TO SYSTEMIC SOCIAL CHANGE TO:
MAIL: 3025 W. 37th Ave #206 Denver, CO 80211
Padres Unidos is an equal opportunity employer.