Job Announcement: Communications Director
Padres & Jóvenes Unidos
3025 W 37th Ave., Suite 206 / Denver, CO 80211
303-458-6545 Phone / 303-458-5635 Fax
TITLE: Communications Director
BACKGROUND: With roots in the struggle for educational justice, Padres has evolved into a multi-issue organization that is led by people of color who work for educational excellence, racial justice for youth, immigrant rights and quality healthcare for all. Padres & Jovenes build power to challenge the root cause of discrimination, racism and inequity by exposing the economic, social and institutional basis for injustice as well as developing effective strategies to realize meaningful change. www.padresunidos.org.
POSITION: The Communications Director (CD) is accountable to a Co-Executive Director. The CD is responsible for the strategic communications program area of the work including: developing and maintaining communication strategies for multiple campaigns, earned media work, online media work, paid media work, managing a staff team, and consulting on strategic directions of the organizations beyond the scope of communications.
The CD should share Padres & Jovenes Unidos' overall commitment to addressing issues of racial and economic justice, working with traditionally disenfranchised populations, changing structural conditions to improve the quality of life, building community power, and institutional change.
- Develop, deploy, and oversee comprehensive internal and external messaging platform for Padres & Jóvenes Unidos that elaborates the organization's values, theory of change, history and significance - for use in outreach, recruitment, fundraising, political education, media relations and base building.
- Oversee development/production of all written communications materials and establish a system for cataloguing content.
- Develop and maintain communications strategies for multiple issue campaigns.
- Develop communications strategies for communities who are not on line.
- Oversee three critical areas of communications program work: earned media, online organizing, and paid media.
- Mentor and supervise team to implement communications strategies.
- Develop and execute mail and phone strategies for issue campaigns.
- Represent the organization externally to movement allies and partners.
- Provide regular reports to the Co- Director on key issues daily.
- Promote the campaigns and work of Padres & Jovenes Unidos.
- 3 to 5 years experience in organizing for equality and justice.
- 6+ years experience in the field of strategic communications.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence".
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Ability to develop good press relations.
- Bilingual and biliterate a plus.
- A belief in and dedication to leadership and justice for those most impacted by today's pressing issues of gender oppression, racism, and classism.
- Must have valid Colorado State Driver's License, proof of insurance and own reliable car.
- Knowledge of education, immigrant communities, and educational justice.
- Must be available to travel and be able to work weekends and evening meetings when required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Dreamweaver, and PowerBase.
Bachelor's degree in a related field is required; Journalism, Political Science, Mass Communications.
Master's degree and experience a plus.
SALARY RANGE: Depends on experience, including a generous benefits package.
TO APPLY SEND RÉSUMÉ AND COVER LETTER SUMMARIZING YOUR INTEREST IN
THIS POSITION, HOW YOUR TALENTS MATCH THOSE SOUGHT, AND A WRITING SAMPLE
OF YOUR COMMITMENT TO SYSTEMIC SOCIAL CHANGE TO:
MAIL: 3025 W. 37th Ave #206 Denver, CO 80211
Padres Unidos is an equal opportunity employer.